Spring Days

(this post contains affiliate links.)

Thank you so much for all the great book recommendations! I ordered a few and have a stack out from the library. I read A Man Called Ove over the weekend and really loved it. Now I’m reading Peace Like a River, and I’m nearly finished. It’s such a good book, one I’ll remember. I think the book that was mentioned the most was The Awakening of Miss Prim. I have that one requested! There are links in the sidebar to everything we’re reading right now, and some that are in my queue. I am going to try to remember to keep that updated.

I made a run to the craft store yesterday for embroidery hoops and ended up buying a bunch of art supplies for my kids. Silas and Job are making us crazy with their antics lately. (When you see photos of them and speculate that they keep us on our toes, you are absolutely right!) Browsing the aisles at Hobby Lobby, I decided that what they need is more time at the table doing art projects. I’m not sure that my rationale there is sound. Art with little boys is a bit nuts. As quickly as I get them set up they are ready for something new, and the second I turn my back they are painting each other’s faces. Three and Five is killer.

Larkspur and I have been making things for her dolls and the dolls of one of her friends. They have an elaborate make believe game going on in which they are sisters, both with many “children.” This week she and I knit a stack of tiny washcloths, and I dyed an old handkerchief, cut it into smaller squares and sewed the edges. Then there are tiny soaps and sachets. I’m having almost as much fun as Larkspur is. I think I’d like to knit some doll bonnets. Any favorite patterns?

Jonny and I have both been working towards a shop update. I will update the shop on Tuesday, May 2nd at 1 p.m. EST. There will be lots of yarn, a few playsilks, and some shawl pins as well! I am planning to ship as quickly as I can so you have things in time for Mother’s Day. Seth is also listing some of his hand-turned, wooden candle holders, so you might want to keep your eye on his shop as well! There are a few available now, and he’ll have more listed by next week. The problem he’s running into is that I want everything he makes! I’ve settled on one for my Mother’s Day gift. 🙂

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’m taking my girls to a big plant sale so we’re super excited about that!

Comments

1. Dana in Michigan says:

I’m going to pick “A Man Called Ove” up from the library tomorrow as it is the first book in a summer book club I’m in! I can’t wait to read it

2. Gris fleur says:

The awakening of Miss Prim, a must for me as I’m French …Thanks for the idea !

3. Hello Ginny!
    Please tell me what kind of cloth is that used by your kinds as a tent. It reminds me on hungarian woven table-cloths used by one of the hungarian minority in Romania.
    God bless your family!

4. i love all the photos!!!! I especially love the sound of Larkspur’s doll play and creations! JUST the sort of thing I’d want to be doing at her age (even now!). Miniature things for dolls? So much fun to make!!!! I hope she stays interested in that for a long time!

5. The Harvester; one of my favorite Gene Stratton Porter’s! And yes, little boys…..ahhhhhhh!!!

6. Carol Ehart says:

Ginny, please tell me the name of the plant with the red flowers! (Under the photo of the tiny washcloths!) I inherited this bush when we bought our home 15 years ago and I never knew its name! Thank you. I enjoy your blog so much!! God bless you and your beautiful family.❤

• Hi Carol! That shrub has lots of common names including Carolina allspice and sweetshrub. The Latin is Calycanthus floridus. One of my favorites. 🙂

7. That first picture is so darling!

8. lovely photos as always! Sounds like you are free and easy these days 🙂 Well as free and easy as you can be with a large family, who by the way keep growing too fast for me!

9. Becky Barry says:

Hi Ginny,
    First let me apologize for my talking about (wasn’t recommending), Outlander. I seem to have upset some readers. My intent was just speaking about what I was reading. I apologize to you Ginny if I was out of line.

I just finished Peace Like a River. It was a good read and one I will keep for my book shelf. Before that I read, and liked Shoot the Moon.

How fun to be making things with your daughter and I wish I hat a doll hat pattern to share, but I will wait to view what you come up with. Beautiful pictures Ginny, thank you.

10. so nice! About books, Elizabeth Goudge’s book _The Scent of Water_ was the first of her books that I ever read and upon finishing it, I was given this sense of deep new hope, everything was new again; even the berries on the tree outside of my (grey cement) door room were brighter! 21 years later, I can say that it is still a deeply meaningful and beautiful book. I have introduced various friends to her writing and they all begin reading more of her books once they have begun! 🙂 Have a peaceful weekend!!! God bless!!!

• Susannah says:

The Scent of Water is one of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read. I’m 14, and it impacted me a lot! I’m so glad other people have read and love it as much as I do. Elizabeth Goudge is an author not many people seen to know about even though her writing is amazing.

• I read _Scent of Water_ when I was newly 19, Susannah!!! There are many who read and love this author!! It is a deeply beautiful book. I find that whenever I meet someone who has read Elizabeth Goudge, then I know we can be friends! She is a very special author!!

11. Love your website , you have a beautiful family and love the pictures you take of everything. On picture 14 could you please tell me what that plant is called. I remember it when I was a little girl on the farm, but never knew what it was called. Thanks, Linda G.

12. Mabel’s little teeth!!!!! What a sweetheart! My baby boy is closing in on 17 months and only now has got his upper and lower two teeth in–his teeth took forever–so he finally looks more like a little boy to me and not a baby….sad and wonderful at the same time. Hope your shop update is another sell-out, Ginny!

13. Stunning photos as usual.

14. I’ve made the Little Turtle Knits pilot cap and the ribbed pixie hat for our dolls, both very nice. How fun to make such wee things!

15. So many plant sales going on this weekend! I’m in DC and in our neighborhood, The Franciscan Monastery is having their annual sale as well as The National Arboretum. Have fun! And thanks for the book recommendations.

16. happy spring!
    Fabs of Fig & Me has some patterns for beautiful doll items: https://www.etsy.com/shop/figandme?ref=l2-shopheader-name
    I’ve knit the pointy bonnet, and it’s very sweet.
    happy making!

17. Love the flowers, can’t wait to see some here in NY! Your mobile chicken coop is huge! Looks wonderful.

18. Cindy in NC says:

Ginny, those teeny tiny wash cloths are almost as cute as Mabel’s teeny tiny little teeth! What type/size needle do you use for such a project? I have always used the inexpensive wood needles (less slippery than metal) that I get with a half off coupon at one of the craft stores. I am wondering if it is time to graduate to better needles, particularly some with fine tips for lace knitting. Any advice?

19. Reading your post makes me smile. I love hearing what your kids are up too and thanks for the book idea. It is one thing I really miss about Yarn Along being gone;-[. Spring sure is trying to break through here in Colorado, but not yet, snow today and all weekend, soon, very soon…..

20. oooh it looks like spring is here! You look like you’re all having so much fun, those teeny washcloths are so cute!

21. So nice to visit here again, Ginny. I’ve been mostly absent from so much of this world lately, due to being drawn outdoors after a long winter cooped up. About those dolly bonnets, I made two for Sunshine’s dollies this past Christmas as I made her Little House on the Prairie wardrobes for them. I simply used my favourite children’s bonnet and scaled it way down while measuring the back of the dolly’s heads. I ought to post some photos…but with a little improvising, they worked great.
    I can’t wait to see what you create…and I hope Larkspur shares what she has created.
    xo Jules
    P.S. I was thinking of your girl a few weeks ago because I started from seed several larkspur plants. I can’t wait to see how they grow!

22. A Man Called Ove was my fave book of last year ❤️I really loved it. I am glad that you enjoyed it!

23. What fun! I’d love to see more of the tiny doll things — your descriptions are enticing! 🙂

24. I love looking at your beautiful pictures! I love how pictures just seem to slow life down and show us the things that are important to us 🙂 If you dont mind me asking- what camera and lens do you use?

• Hi Sarah! Thank you! Right now my main camera (Nikon D600) is off for repairs, so these photos were all taken with my Nikon D90. I use a variety of lenses, but mainly a Nikon 50 mm 1.4 right now. There is more info on my F.A.Q. page! 🙂

25. Ooo some of my favorites in your pile!! I love Gene Stratton Porter and the Harvester is one of her best!!

26. You sound more relaxed and happy, Ginny! Whatever you’re doing these days is working for you. 🙂 and I find looking at your beautiful pictures relaxing–thanks for posting them.