a sunday sweater

Sunday Sweater

Sunday Sweater

Sunday Sweater

Sunday Sweater

Sunday Sweater

Sunday Sweater

I put the final touches on Larkspur’s cardigan this weekend.  The second I finished sewing on the buttons that Larkspur chose, she rushed to pull it on (nevermind that it’s still August in Virginia.)  I realized with a nervous bit of glee that after all that agonizing over getting the numbers just right; due to the strange and wonderful combination of math and knitting (and an afternoon spent with an expert,) what I had long envisioned had become a reality.  This sweater was my second go at it.  Beatrix has one too, but it’s awaiting the perfect buttons.  Beatrix’s cardigan was essentially my rough draft, Larkspur’s the final product.

This little cardigan has been brewing in my mind for so long, a year or more I think!  I wanted a comfortable yet feminine cardigan that my girls could wear without restriction for play, but also wear it over a dress and look pretty and I think I achieved just that.  This cardigan is knit from the top down.  The buttonbands are knit as part of the body, so finishing is minimal.  The sleeves are knit without decreases until the cuff, which means that they fit comfortably over long sleeves, but are held at the wrist so they don’t get in the way.  The yarn is black walnut dyed worsted weight organic merino from Brambleberry Yarns (I used the same for Bea’s only it was dyed with indigo.)

I’m still working on the pattern and hope to have it ready in a couple of weeks!  In the meantime, here’s my ravelry link if you want to bookmark it!

Updated to add:  The Sunday Sweater pattern is available now.  You can purchase it here.

Comments

1. margot says:

Simply perfect cardigan and lovely pictures!

2. Theresa says:

Lovely sweater, lovely daughter, lovely pictures!!! I ‘m looking forward to the pattern! :)

3. Mary says:

Beautiful! And so is your model…those pictures are stunning!

4. Anne Marie says:

Breathtaking!

5. Joy says:

It’s really beautiful, Ginny! I love the eyelet look and the slightly puffy sleeves, easier for fitting over long-sleeved clothes in winter. Just gorgeous!!

6. It’s beautiful – well done! Isn’t it a wonderful feeling when things turn out the way you had hoped?!

7. Really beautiful! Love the photo shoot with the chickens :-)

8. nytesong says:

It’s just right! I love the crispness of the pattern–it really keeps the sweater looking dressy while still looking very comfortable.

Like others, I hope to see a pattern available in grown-up size too!

9. Eda says:

What a woonderful sweater for your girl, love the color and the detail. Is this a pattern youmade up or found somewhere? I would be interested in it for my niece for easter. Wonderderful. Just wonderful!

Blessings Eda

10. Denise says:

This cardigan is so masterfully created! Ginny, what an incredible talent you are.

11. Renee says:

It is beautiful! I loved reading how you formulated the pattern. I’m very much looking forward to you publishing it. I also enjoyed reading about the buttons.

12. Katie says:

Beautiful!!!

13. mistea says:

The child choosing to wear it immediately is the ultimate praise.
    Beautiful.

14. Lynn says:

What a lovely design! Those buttons are perfect and your model is sweet (!). Any chance of sizing it up for we grownups?

15. sherri says:

The sweater is absoultely beautiful! Love the photos too. Can’t wait to see Bea’s in the pretty indigo. Also can’t wait for your pattern too. GREAT job!

16. Marj says:

Beautiful sweater, Ginny. You did a great job designing it AND knitting it. I anxiously await the pattern. Maybe I can make one for my great-granddaughter!

17. Christine says:

oh Ginny. the sweater is absolutely gorgeous. really.

18. Missy says:

Lovely! I look forward to the pattern!

19. chantelle says:

It’s sooooo beautiful.

20. Kim says:

Beautiful, looking forward to the pattern.

21. Diane says:

Congratulations!! It’s beautiful. :) I can’t wait to see Bea’s!

22. Jenn says:

Turned out great! :)

23. Nadja says:

Oh, Ginny, it is absolutely wonderful! I love it!

24. Kelli says:

Simply put…….Beautiful!

25. Mandy says:

wow…I can’t even imagine making something like that up…so pretty and great job! Can’t wait to see the pattern!

26. Mary G says:

~You did a great job making such a lovely sweater… just in time for the fall. Great photographs. I especially like the one with Larkspur and the chickens~

27. Heidi says:

Ginny….it is so beautiful!!!!
    I really enjoy your posts and am very thankful for you sharing them. I love to see all your creations. I have never attempted to crochet but my grandmother made beautiful items to pass on for generations to come. Just think how wonderful it will be for your daughter to give her daughter one of the items you made from your heart and be able to pass on her memories of them as well

28. Elisabeth says:

Ginny! That cardigan is lovely! You truly achieved your goals and I would love to purchase this pattern to knit for one or more of my nieces. Forgive me if I missed a ravelry link (I will look again), but if it is not up, please consider selling this pattern. It is perfect!

29. Kristy says:

Absolutely gorgeous, your daughter and her new sweater!

30. jane says:

You did wonderful! I am waiting to purchase your pattern, will be great for my great grandaughter.

Way to go!!

31. Susan says:

perfect! love it!

32. steph says:

pretty much perfect as far as I can see!!!

33. Georganne says:

Love it — so pretty! Looking forward to the pattern.

G

34. Nicole says:

Ginny, I think the sweater is adorable and I like the roomy sleeves. My oldest just turned seven years old and I can see her loving this style of sweater – comfy, cozy, but with style enough to go over a dress for church. Wow, well done. I have only yet knit (for garments) a vest and a doll sweater.

35. Love, love, LOVE! I would love this in adult size for me! :)

36. Amber says:

My stars, Ginny! It’s beautiful! I’m still somewhat new to knitting in my opinion–just a few years–and can’t imagine designing a sweater! You did a beautiful job.

37. Jennifer says:

Hello Ginny,
    I don’t comment often, but am a dedicated reader! I always enjoy your knitting projects and reading suggestions. This pretty and practical sweater is just beautiful! I will be on the look out for the pattern and can’t wait to cast on for my two girls, very close in age and interests to your own.

Take care~
    Jennifer

38. Ginny,
    Oh my goodness, the sweater for Larkspur turned out gorgeous!!! I’ve been oohing and aahing over the pictures. The colors.. the way it fits… the beautiful pattern along the front… the purple heart buttons with the walnut-dyed yarn… it’s simply lovely.

Love, Taryn

P.S. Thanks for linking to us!

P.P.S. Progress is being made on some buttons, thanks for your patience. I’ll let you know when they are ready. :)

39. Tricia says:

Off topic story: I just got literally two bins full of sweaters that my grandmother knit for my siblings and me when we were children. I was shocked and delighted that my mother held on to all of them for almost three decades until I had children of my own. I sincerely hope that your knitted lovelies (and they are lovely) wind up heirlooms: packed up after wearing and put on a whole new generation of cuties a few decades down the line.

40. It is very feminine. Very pretty! I love the buttons too and Larkspur wears it well.

41. Maria says:

Very nice. I have to do one for my daughter. :)

42. Gretchen R says:

Wonderful! I love it and am very proud of you that you’re writing up the pattern. That is no simple task!

43. Genevieve says:

Love it! Congratulations on making the cardigan-in-your-head a reality!

44. Erica S. says:

So pretty!

45. Sharron says:

Beautiful sweater and little girl. I love these pictures!!! I hope chickens are in our future.

46. Annie says:

What an absolutely charming sweater. Meets all your goals so well–practical and pretty, and seems to be very much loved by it’s wearer. It would be perfect attire for that Little House day you mentioned. Did you have one yet, now that the watermelon is ripe?

47. Mary G says:

It is GORGEOUS! Congrats and you should be so proud of yourself!

Hugs and holler if I can be of any more help …

MaryG.

48. It’s beautiful, can’t wait to see the pattern.

49. Betty says:

So pretty and lovely Ginny! You inspire me! I just might be able to muster up the courage to attempt this when you have it available!