I put the final touches on Larkspur’s cardigan this weekend. The second I finished sewing on the buttons that Larkspur chose, she rushed to pull it on (nevermind that it’s still August in Virginia.) I realized with a nervous bit of glee that after all that agonizing over getting the numbers just right; due to the strange and wonderful combination of math and knitting (and an afternoon spent with an expert,) what I had long envisioned had become a reality. This sweater was my second go at it. Beatrix has one too, but it’s awaiting the perfect buttons. Beatrix’s cardigan was essentially my rough draft, Larkspur’s the final product.
This little cardigan has been brewing in my mind for so long, a year or more I think! I wanted a comfortable yet feminine cardigan that my girls could wear without restriction for play, but also wear it over a dress and look pretty and I think I achieved just that. This cardigan is knit from the top down. The buttonbands are knit as part of the body, so finishing is minimal. The sleeves are knit without decreases until the cuff, which means that they fit comfortably over long sleeves, but are held at the wrist so they don’t get in the way. The yarn is black walnut dyed worsted weight organic merino from Brambleberry Yarns (I used the same for Bea’s only it was dyed with indigo.)
I’m still working on the pattern and hope to have it ready in a couple of weeks! In the meantime, here’s my ravelry link if you want to bookmark it!
Updated to add: The Sunday Sweater pattern is available now. You can purchase it here.