Yarn Along

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~

Yarn Along

I finished the body of my sweater and it fits snugly.  I am hoping that means that it will fit with a bit of  room after I block it.  Most complaints I have read about the February Lady Sweater seem to be in relation to it being too big.  I am almost finished with the first sleeve, and will hopefully finish this project soon!  I have also knit a few rows on the Oaklet shawl I began awhile back.  It’s almost time to begin the lace edging.  I wanted to photograph the two projects together at least once, because they remind me of my favorite color scheme when I was a little girl.  I called pink with green “watermelon colors” and liked to dress in them.  Recently I have noticed Larkspur doing the same, and at the same age that I did.

During the height of everyone’s illness I pulled our Catwings books off the shelf and read the first of the series of four to the girls while we snuggled up in my bed.  In the days since, these books have been passed around from child to child.   We all love them, even me.  Something about the thought of cats with wings I guess.

I began reading A Good and Perfect Gift on Monday and have already read nearly half of it.  That’s the fastest reading that I’ve done in some time.  The story is written by a mom about the birth of her first child, a daughter who has Down Syndrome.  Down Syndrome has been a beautiful part of my family since the day my sister Erin was born, on my tenth birthday in fact.  I’ll never forget the way my dad snuck my siblings and me up a back stairway at the hospital and into my stepmom’s room so we could quickly get a peek at our new baby sister.

Grab a button for your post or sidebar! Visit the Yarn Along page for additional button colors!
Below is a linky list if you’d like to link up and join the Yarn Along.
(1) Make sure the link you submit is to the URL of your blog post or your specific Flickr photo and not your main blog URL or Flickr Photostream. Please be sure and link to your current Yarn Along post, and not a Yarn Along post from a previous week.
(2) Include a link back to this post in your blog post or on your flickr photo page so that others who may want to join the Yarn Along can find us!
(3) If you have any trouble linking up, just email me and I will help you!
You can also join the Flickr Yarn Along group to share your knitting and reading photos anytime!

Comments

1. Paula Pike says:

just found this site and I love it…anything having to do with women helping others is great with me!

2. Jill says:

Thanks for sharing this book – I’d not heard of it. My almost-8 year old daughter has Down syndrome, and is a *great* and perfect gift, so I can’t wait to read it.

3. claire says:

Having been tempted by the title ‘a good and perfect gift’ I’ve looked it up and it’s just my cup of tea so will be sure to order it from our Library next time I’m there. I tried (unsuccessfully) to inset a ‘Yarn Along’ button in to my blog and appear just to have copied over the picture – sorry! Cx

4. claire says:

Tempted by the title of ‘A Good and Perfect Gift’ I’ve just looked it up and will order it from the library as it seems to be just my cup of tea! I tried (unsuccessfully) to put a ‘Yarn Along’ button in my blog but appear to have just copied it as a picture – sorry! Cx

5. Teri says:

I’d love to see the full February Lady Sweater!

This week I’m waiting expectantly for our dairy goat to kid! So, a bit less knitting and reading than usual, but I am making progress on a Manda Ruth cardigan.

6. Francesca B. says:

I love your watermelon colors!!!! I love your Oaklet Shawl.

7. lori says:

(((hug your sister)))
    what are you knitting your sweater with? mad tosh does grow, in lengtht mostly.

8. sam lamb says:

thanks for the “catwings” recommendation – it sounds perfect for my daughter!

9. Tina says:

Love the color of your sweater!

10. Liesl says:

The color of your sweater is gorgeous! The February Lady Sweater pattern is in my queue. I’ve been working on a baby blanket in the gull lace pattern, it’s quite lovely.

11. rachel says:

Watermelon colours – how perfect!

12. makneta says:

Great colours of your projects.

13. Gesche says:

Thank you so much for the recommendation of “a good and perfect gift” I have never heard of that book before and since I work with people with learning diabilities, some with down syndrom, I love to see “the other side” every once in a while. We have a magazin here in Germany written by people with the down syndrom, it is a fantastic magazin calles “Ohrenkuss” (meaning “kiss on the ears”).

I love watermelon color!!! In fact you have inspired me to dye some of my first hand spun yarn that color now. I can’t wait, to get going…

14. Gesche says:

15. Love the “watermelon colors”!

16. Kathleen says:

I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see Catwings in your photo—that’s definitely one of my favourite books ever, and I’m so glad you’re sharing it with your kids the way my mom shared it with me. <3

Also, gorgeous WIPs, your yarn selections are just lovely.