I took the advice of many of you late during my pregnancy with Job, focusing on just getting my bedroom in order before he was born and letting go of my typical goal of having my entire house clean and organized. When you can’t do it, you just can’t. I have found it really hard to dig out from the mess and chaos that settled in the months before and after Job was born. Silas and the girls are so much faster than I am, and they have far more free time. It has definitely felt like one step forward, two steps back. But, the good news is that I have been able to keep my room looking pretty and mostly clean much of the time.
When we started the big ongoing project to move all the boys upstairs and the girls down, I lost the little nook where my computer and desk lived just outside our living room. That’s a closet now. The only place to move it was next to our bed. I was pretty bummed about that at first. Having a computer next to my bed is not my ideal. But, I made a few changes, and I am happy with the way things are now. It’s actually kind of nice to be able to shut the door to my room and sit down here to write sometimes without heavy traffic of the two footed type zooming all around me. My monitor and keyboard needed replacing so I bought white ones rather than black. But the big change obviously is that with a little help from my older boys, I painted my dark brown desk a vintage green color. It’s the same color as our kitchen cabinets, (use what you have!) Land of Liberty by Benjamin Moore. I was worried about the paint job, when after the second coat a stain bled through on the top of the desk. Two coats later, and it looks fine, the stain just gives it character now. I painted the large knobs on the big drawer, and replaced the ones on the little upper drawers with small depression green glass knobs that I ordered here. Then I pulled out my sewing machine, dusted it off and sewed a basic skirt to hide my computer and other things that are stored underneath (fabric from JoAnn). I hung it on a simple tension rod. I was worried that it would get tugged down by my kids, but so far it is working out well. I’m happy with the way that this project turned out!
(I talked in more detail about re-doing furniture in this post. I handled this desk a little differently, in that I did sand the whole thing down lightly after painting it, and I distressed some of the edges.)