Humor Me

Small Things Caledon-3954Small Things Caledon-4067Small Things Caledon-3852 Small Things Caledon-3858 Small Things Caledon-3859Small Things Caledon-3871Small Things Caledon-3874Small Things Caledon-3886

We planned to go to Big Meadow yesterday, but it occurred to me last minute that the trip might be really miserable, because Mabel is a car cry-er.  So we stuck closer to home and went to Caledon instead.  It was hot and muggy, and the insects were biting, but it was still really good to get away for a few hours.  I asked the kids to pose for two group photos, one of them a sort of replica of my favorite photo of all of them when Job was a baby.  There was a lot of moaning and groaning over that, but I begged them just to humor me.  By the time I even got everyone in one place, half of them were wet and dirty.  Most of them were not in the mood for photos (is anyone ever in the mood to pose for a group photo?)  And Job didn’t understand why everyone was telling him to put his hands in the air, which was kind of hilarious.  I’m happy to have all eight of them in one photo.

old group photo

1. They are all just beautiful. I loved how Gabe holds the baby, and all the different expressions in each photo were so funny and cute.

2. I LOVE these photos of your tribe! I don’t know your kids, but I feel like the photos express their personalities and moods so well. Well done, mama!

3. Precious 🙂

4. As the mother of 7 myself (half of them grown and flown now) your photo’s really took me back many years to when we had family photo shoots!! There was always someone grumpy, mostly someone not looking and invariably only one or two good end results!
    Your photos – and children – are so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them.

5. That picture of you holding Mae is so gorgeous. If I could paint (alas…) I’d want to paint it!

Love all the pics of the kids too. The one where your oldest son is like “Ok, that’s enough pictures, bye” made me smile. I remember feeling like that while posing for (family) pictures when I was a teenager…

Even if no one is sitting still or where you want them to sit, I still LOVE these photos :).

6. Gabe’s sweet way with Mabel…so beautiful. So glad you all got time out together! 🙂

7. Beautiful pictures, congratulations on getting everyone in the picture, its not an easy task a specially when there are teenagers.

8. Ginny, you look so natural with a baby on your shoulder — like it’s what you were made for. And Gabe, holding baby Mabel, brings tears to my eyes.

9. Love how your pictures are so real!! I love the one of your older son in the stroller – mine used to do that all the time….like racing down a hill in them.

10. The series of Seth standing to the side with a fed up look on his face before walking away is hysterical. Frame-worthy. I so enjoy witnessing the interactions among your children (through the lense). Thank you for sharing.

11. Big brothers are special, aren’t they. Love these pics

12. Such a beautiful family! 🙂

13. I love how each and every one of your beautiful children have their very own personalities. It’s amazing to watch Lark growing up and how similar she is, facial expression-wise, to Seth.

14. It seems that Gabe is so sweet to Mabel. Lucky Mabel to have all those big brothers! May God continue to bless your wonderful family.

15. I’ve been trying to work out if Gabe or Mabel is more relaxed with the other and I guess they are just comfortable with each other. He is a natural with little ones! So love the new group photo.

16. Katherine Smith says:

Gabe in the stroller is so cute…he is so strong looking but obviously so gentle. 🙂

17. I love this! This is so real. I’m guilty of wondering how in the world you get such fabulous photos when you’ve got a newborn (I’ve got one too and I feel like I’m always holding a baby and it’s impossible to pull out the camera). Glad to see you’ve got some people who don’t like to pose for photos just like me ;).

18. jennyann1126 says:

oh they will be so glad one day that you made them sit for these. Just perfection, esp Gabe in the stroller. 😉

19. you have a beautiful family Ginny!!!

20. I am so glad I am not the only one who forces her kids to pose! Nine here, and one who gives me the same flat “eh” your son manages! Lol

21. Megan Wahl says:

sweet photos. I love how you can see the same facial expressions across the siblings (like the yawn face of the two in the double stroller!)

22. Mabel looks so content in big brother’s arms!

23. Good job! I love the pictures. All the kids will be glad “some day” when they are older, that they humored you. I feel like we didn’t take enough group pictures of our kids – but the ones we have are treasured.

24. Lovely pictures. And so natural looking.

25. I loved every one of these! Your family is such a FAMILY. What a wonderful adventurous childhood you have given them. They will all be exceptional parents.

26. Brilliant photos Ginny. You did really well to get all of them in one photo – I’m still trying to get my 3 in one photo! Happy days and beautiful children. 🙂

27. I love your blog…seeing your pictures that show kids as they are. So much fun to see them growing up. Brings back good memories… and some regret too. Meaning, I wish I had paid more attention to what really was important and let a lot of unimportant stuff go. I miss it all now. Kids are grown up and going on with their lives and careers. I can tell you that while you are busy with so many irons in the fire…it passes unnoticed. Somehow it sneaks up on you and you wonder…WOW! How did that happen?

28. Richard (in Charlotte, NC) says:

Wow, how time does fly! And your children are growing fast like weeds; good weeds mind you, but fast ones too. Congrats on getting them to sit still long enough to snap the shutter.

29. What a wonderful picture. Your children are adorable, and you can tell there is a lot of love in your family!!

30. The picture of Gabe in the stroller made me laugh out loud! I also notice how Gabe is holding Mabel and caring for her, seems like there is a special bond developing between them. Very sweet.

31. Oh Ginny, those pictures of the children brought tears to my old eyes!! How I miss my small girls (only 2, but came late in life after being told countless times that I couldn’t have children)! But, I now have a 5 year old granddaughter, so I enjoy her all I can!!

32. Emmaline E says:

I love seeing pictures of your kids together. I’m sure it’s not always peaceful 😉 but I can tell they love each other. Since Mabel’s birth, I’ve also noticed how Gabe seems to gravitate to her, and it warms my heart. He seems to have a way with her, and it’s so rare to see a teen boy take time with a baby (much less demonstrate the patience to learn to soothe one).

Anyway, I just thought I would tell you what I’ve noticed through your lens. As a mama, I love when others tell me what they notice about my boy that I may miss in the day to day, and I hope you don’t mind my doing the same. Blessings!

33. Seeing your kids all together brings me joy!

34. Your little ones look so like you Ginny. What a lovely set of photos, thanks for posting.

35. Oh how I love the pictures of Gabe holding the baby! SO sweet!

36. Beautiful photos Ginny! And such a beautiful family! 🙂

37. I love the way tiny babies look hanging out in the stroller!
    My littlest has always been a car crier and still is at 16 months… it sure makes travel hard!

38. Lovely photos as always! I love how close Gabe and Mabel look. Gabe and Mabe 🙂 xx

39. How is it that Gabe can look the same but Seth & Keats look like they’ve both grown at least a foot (and, in one case, a foot of hair)?

Also, I love that Gabe is always holding baby Mae.

Stormageddon is a bit of a car cryer, as well. I think it’s because we don’t get out on highways as much here. When we lived in Wisconsin, when Little Man was, well, little, we traveled everywhere and almost everywhere we went required a good 30 minutes or more on a 55+ highway. Here, we can drive for a half hour, go all of 5 miles, and hardly get above 30mph. It’s no wonder he doesn’t travel very well. He did fine on the planes, though….so, maybe it’s just the car?

40. So lovely. My oldest can’t smile in a picture either.

41. Mabel’s face in the first group shot is priceless!! And Lark and Seth look so alike <3

42. Erika Farese says:

I love seeing how tenderly and lovingly Gabe holds Mabel and interacts with her ~ what a gift for them both!

43. So beautiful! Love these photos!

44. Gabriel looks like his dad on pic 13.
    Same same way of holding the baby.

45. I can’t believe how big everyone is getting! Amazing.

46. Beautiful photos, beautiful family. It is very hard to get everyone on board for group photos…

47. Looks like Gabe’s always holding the baby! Too cute. My teenage brothers were just visiting, and one of them wanted to hold my baby all the time too.

48. Cindy in NC says:

My three-month-old granddaughter is a car cryer as well. We think it may be because the car seat partially blocks the air conditioning, and it’s been miserably hot here almost since the day she was born. I recently made a rice bag that goes straight from the freezer onto her tummy for car rides and it seems to help. I notice in these and other photos that Gabe often seems to be holding the baby. What a loving big brother.

49. lovely pictures!!! God willing, when Mae is a bit older, you can all go to the big meadow again; I know how much that place means for you and can bring calm to you. God bless you! and your wonderful beautiful family!