Summer Shawl

Over the weekend I reached the end of this shawl, but I had so much yarn left over that I decided to add extra repeats of the border.  Then I decided that all that openwork needed a little bit of garter stitch to ground it, and then I added more border rows.  It ended up so long that it occupied the entire length of my kitchen table for blocking.  (Photos were taken just after I removed the blocking pins.  “Don’t touch boys!”  Touch. Touch. Grab!)

Last fall, when we were in Georgia for a visit, my baby sister, Angie,  requested a shawl that she could use as a nursing cover with the baby boy she is expecting this month.  I was all, “Really?  A knitted nursing cover for a summertime Georgia baby?”  But I guess it won’t be summer forever down there.  I chose the Antarktis pattern because it has so much openwork (Is that what you call it?  All those yarnovers?) and I paired it with an amazing summery yarn.  The shawl is nice and airy and long and I think it will work for her.  If not, she can just wait until the weather cools off and she’ll have what I hope she thinks is a pretty accessory.  She’s a brown-eyed brunette and I think the color will be amazing on her.

As far as difficulty goes,  this isn’t a hard pattern, and I love that it is all garter stitch.  No purling!  I think that if you can work a knit two together, and a yarn over, and can read a pattern, you could knit this.  I suspect I’ll knit it again someday.

This shawl will go in the mail today!  I’m so happy that I was able to finish it before baby’s arrival!

Comments

1. beautiful shawl! what a loving sister you are. I guess I should knit something for my sister…

2. Beautiful! It’s creations like this that almost make me want to take up knitting.

You do take wonderful pictures, Ginny.

3. I just LOVE this. I wish I could knit.

4. Richard says:

Ooops, just read about the shawl pattern. It has knit front and back. I’m in deep trouble now. I can crochet front, back, sideways – you name it but I have not gotten the manual dexterity with the two knitting needles just yet to undertake back loops. Something to practice on on down the road. It is a beautiful shawl though. Love the shade of Blue.

5. Richard says:

You really are amazing! Seven humans to take care of not to mention the animals too and you still find time to knit wonderful gifts for others. I may have to purchase that shawl pattern and give it a go myself. I know I can knit a knit stitch and knit two together can’t be all that hard. Thank you for all you share with us online Ginny. You go Girl.

6. I just HAD to tell you my first thought on seeing your picture with the gorgeous shawl :”Wow, she looks like Meryl Streep!” (I don’t know for you, but I think she is beautiful! There is this smile that goes all the way to the eyes, and those cheekbones.. and you really have the same look in this picture.)

7. Beautiful!! I want to be your sister!!!!! 😉 Not only because of the shawl. Rather …. because you do things with love. You are so selfless. This can be felt in all your pictures and especially in the things you knitting, cooking, sewing. You’re just adorable. The Lord may keep his hand over you. Your blog is like a treasure for me. Thank you for sharing your life with so many people. Have a nice day.

8. It looks beautiful Ginny! Your blocking story reminds me of my house – except we are chasing the cat off the blocking board.

9. Luz Maria Perez says:

Such a pretty shawl. I love the design and the color. Wow. It is my favorite color.

10. Ginny, I love it! I love the open-ness and the asymmetrical shaping. Gorgeous and I think your sister will LOVE it!!

11. Janina Kallio patterns are my absolute favorite. I think I have knit 4 or 5 of the Antarktis!! Just cast on her Ardent pattern and cannot wait for ‘Herald’ to be released. Your shawl is gorgeous.. and adore your new banner!

12. It is so pretty!!!

13. Good Job, Ginny!! (And so beautiful, too..) Hooray! 🙂

14. Corinne says:

The shawl is beautiful!…love the color!
    But, most of all I just love that little Job who is
    getting sooooooooooooooooooo big!
    Corinne

15. Ilka W.J. says:

This is SO beautiful!! If you ever decide to make them for sale… I volunteer as a customer! 😉

16. Ginny,
    This shawl is one of the most beautiful ones I have seen. It looks so light and summery. I could see using that in the Georgia summer weather, sitting under a shade tree or on the porch swing, nursing a sweet baby. I love the length too!

17. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing 🙂

18. Beautiful! I added this one to my Ravelry queue. I’ve never knit a shawl, because I can picture myself wearing one. But this one is so light and airy, I have to give it a try!

19. So beautiful! And so clever to knit something with a lovely little summery purpose of breastfeeding.

20. That is a beautiful shawl. I love the pattern. Thanks for sharing with us.

21. Gorgeous! I didn’t know the Fibre Company made that particular yarn, I will have to get my hands on some! 🙂

22. So pretty! I’m glad you took pictures for us. Love the little hands reaching and patting. 🙂
    Blessings,
    Betsy

23. Very pretty Ginny! I hope to try something on this scale soon! 🙂

24. So beautiful! And your sister will feel so loved with that handmade gift to welcome baby, and to comfort mama. Thank you for sharing! =)

25. well done! :)) just catching up with things – loved your garden pictures too. so much to do, isn’t there? God is with you and may you know His blessings!

26. beautiful

27. So lovely! A perfect little pretty thing for a new mama to toss on.

28. Trichat says:

Abolutely GORGEOUS!!! The color, the pattern and… and this little boy… Oh! He makes me melt everytime I see him, even crying! 😉
    I’m now obsess with this shawl… but so many things on the needlessss!
    I’ll see!
    Have a nice day Ginny! (From Quebec!)

29. A beautiful gift! 🙂

30. angie bright (sister) says:

OH Ginny its beautiful!!!! I am so excited. 🙂 It is so much more than I expected…just beautiful. I love you and I am so very happy to have something that you have made for just me.I feel very special. Now everytime I wear it I will think of you..my sister. I MISS YOU! I wish you were here with me.Thank you.Im inpatiently waiting for its arrival. EKKKKK!

31. It’s beautiful! I would love to knit something like that for my daughter in law who is due July 1st. Don’t think I will manage though if the silly little washcloth I am knitting in a plain garter stitch is giving me so much trouble. As usual your photos are soooooo beautiful. You do inspire me.

32. Jennifer says:

It’s beautiful and a lovely color!

33. Ginny I love it! I want to make one. I normally don’t like wearing the triangle shaped ones as much but I would wear this one. Plus I love not purling.

My little Ingrid loved these pictures she insisted on looking at them no less than 4 times through. She kept pointing and saying, “That’s a mommy. That’s a baby. That’s a mommy. That’s a baby, there’s 2 babies!”

Missing you, friend. Wishing some crazy would slow down for both of us.

34. It’s gorgeous Ginny and I know your sister is going to love it, although I’m with you about a knitted item for a summer southern baby, but you are right, it won’t stay hot and humid forever.

35. Ginny! This is beautiful! Exquisite!
    You are.
    I miss your smile… and your wisdom.
    Let’s go for a walk today with Job… ahhhhh, that sounds perfect.
    xoxo

36. Gwendolyn says:

Just beautiful! I’m so glad you took pictures before mailing it off. And those were so sweet of little Job getting comforted by his mom. Thanks for sharing!